"What do you what to be when you grow up?" I fondly remember being asked this question and my answer was always a pediatrician. I went to college and decided on pre-med with a concentration in Biology as a major. About half way through my junior year, I decided that being a doctor was just not for me. I can't really pin point the reason why but after observing multiple surgeries, office hours and hospital rounds, I just knew that wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
After college and being kicked out into the real world, I had NO clue what I wanted to do. I had a degree in Biology (what the heck can I do with that?). I researched a few jobs that had this degree as a requirement and found out none of them were for me. I then decided on sales. My Dad and brother were both in sales so why not.
During college, I worked in my Mom's ENT office during summer break and had a lot of contact with Pharmaceutical Reps. I thought to myself "wow, I would be great at that". So my first job out of college was a Sales job, in order to get some sales experience under my belt.
Well, after moving down to Virginia with Justin, moving up to Johnstown and moving back to Pittsburgh, I now have a grand total of 5 professional jobs since graduating. Can you say Job Hopper! Not all of them were my fault though, I have relocated 3 times! I should just be a professional interviewer because God knows that I have been on a million!
Unfortunately, I have never been able to attain a job as a Pharmaceutical Rep. I have had a number of interviews, where at the end the interviewer always says how well I presented myself and thinks I would be awesome in the position, blah, blah, blah but then I never get the job. Talk about a false sense of hope!
So now I am doing Sales in the telecommunications industry.... my dream job, no but I guess I am pretty good at it! As far as if I'll do this forever, who knows. I am still second guessing myself as a Sales Rep and am not sure if it's the right career for me. I think there are many things that I would rather be doing but unfortunately Sales is the only thing I have experience in and I am not really willing to take a pay cut to get an entry level job doing something else.
I guess I will just keep plugging away until I get a different opportunity!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment